Tuesday 20 March 2012

My First Improv Quilt

I am so glad to show you my first finished quilt for 2012. I have used a pattern from Kate Conklin Designs called There's a Square in There. I love the contemporary look of the quilt and decided to make one for my son.


I have mostly used Denyse Schmidt's Greenfield Hill line -dogwood colourway, a mix of prints, Essex Cotton/ Linen solids and a whole lot of Kona Cotton in Snow.

It was a lot of fun cutting the fabrics using Kate's 'stack and slash' method.



I wanted to add more blocks as I wanted the quilt to be bigger and the blocks smaller than the original design. So after a few exchanges of emails with Kate and based on her recommendations, I made the blocks smaller without compromising the look and added 9 extra blocks to make it 72" square. Love the improv look!

Quilting was fun too.   I hand quilted it using Perle Cotton No. 8  and
followed Kate's method

using masking tape to mark out the squares and then quilted on the inside and outside of the tape.

I love her pieced back design
and did the same for this one.  I used
Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley line-new day colourway for the backing and added a few green prints to tie up with the front of the quilt.

I made up two scrappy binding strips using the remaining fabrics I have used for the front and placed them randomly on the sides and I love how it looks!












I am very happy with how it turned out and knowing that my son, Iliya loves it....PRECIOUS!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful things you've made the last few years, I wish I could finish a quilt before starting something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello FarahLin

    I've just discovered your blog and I must say, what a find - your work is amazing! I'm so glad you've decided to blog, and I'll be checking in often :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zara, thanks! I am still learning the ropes of this whole blogger thing and am loving it! Haha.... thanks for your kind comments and am glad you've stopped by.....

      Delete
  3. love the top and the backing! :)
    superb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW love the quilt and the colours xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

If you haven't allowed blogger to "show" your email address, I can only respond to you here - so please check back.